„Main Railway Stations in Warsaw” - exhibition from 14th May 2016 to 31st January 2017
In the past, the city of Warsaw had run several main railway stations, as well as several stations that were only temporary in their nature.
Starting from the earliest, they are: Warsaw-Vienna Railway Station (1845-1920), designed by Enrico Marconi, Main Railway Station upon the cross-town track at Aleje Jerozolimskie (1939-1944), designed by Czesław Przybylski, Main Railway Station at Towarowa street (1945-1975) designed by Wiktor Ballogh and the Central Railway Station (since 1975), designed by Arseniusz Romanowicz.
Serving as „city gates”, supposed to represent Warsaw, they did not always live up to the high standard. This was due to a combination of various reasons: insufficient financial resources, difficult political situation, sluggishness on the part of local officials or simply wrong decisions. For those reasons, between the construction of main stations, temporary stations were built, which quite often ended up operating for many years. They were: Temporary Main Railway Station at Chmielna street (1921-1939), Temporary Railway Station Warszawa Śródmieście (1949-1963) and Temporary Central Railway Station, placed on a square between four streets: Złota, Chałubińskiego (then Marchlewskiego), Aleje Jerozolimskie and Emilii Plater. (1963-1975).
The exhibition narrative revolves around the main railway stations' characteristics, history and development in the urban and social structure. It shows the creation process of the railway facilities in chronological order, which helps to see it a part of the whole history of Warsaw.
The exhibition is held to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the Polish State Railways J.S.C., and the 70th anniversary of the Main Railway Station‘s opening at Towarowa Street.
The partners of the „Main Railway Stations in Warsaw” exhibition: Narodowe Archiwum Cyfrowe (the National Digital Archive) and Xcity Investment ltd. Media partnership: TVP Historia and Polskie Radio RDC.