„Construction of the train station constituted an effort made to solve the problem of communication with Warsaw after the war. The main objective for the designers and construction teams was to organise an architectural arrangement friendly to the workers and passengers.” (E. Leszczyńska, "Zabudowa Stacji Towarowej Kolei Warszawsko-Wiedeńskiej oraz Tymczasowy Dworzec Główny - rys historyczny", Warszawa, p. 4).
In the years 1948-1950 the station was attended by 100, sometimes even 120 trains every 24 hours.
On long distance rail, trains went to Cracow, Katowice, Wroclaw, Poznan, Łódź, Szczecin, Gdansk and Bydgoszcz. Suburban rail served trains to Warka, Sochaczew and Żyrardów.
Inside of the temporary Main Railway Station was accommodated for a large flow of passengers, practical floors made of terazzo were laid out, while the walls were laid with terracotta.
In 1953, some rooms at the station were adorned.
Since that time, two stucco reliefs have remained. Most likely they were found in the chief station officer cabinet in the northern mezzanine. The reliefs, a work of socialist realism by sculptor H. Tarkowski present workers with their work tools as their attributes. Between them, a fresco is placed, showing the panoramic view of Warsaw.
Exit into town from the arrival platforms on the Main Railway Station, 1985
Main Railway Station 1985